Table of Contents
How To Make Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
There is nothing quite like satisfying a craving for tortilla chips. Whatever you preferred flavor, and we all have one, mot us can gobble down a whole big bag to ourselves! But we all know this isn’t exactly good for us. What if there was another way? A better way?
Luckily for us there is a much better way. That is to make our own using our trusty air fryer. Air fryer tortilla chips are just as crunchy, just as tasty, and just as satisfying as our favorite store brand but with one big difference, they are much, much healthier.
Because we are cooking this wonderful snack in an air fryer, we can use a fraction of the oil used in other methods of cooking. This dramatically reduces the fat in our, now guilt-free, snack of choice.
What You Will Need
This is pretty self-explanatory but in order to make air fryer tortilla chips you are going to need an air fryer. There are many great appliances out there but sometimes it can seem knowing which ones are good, and which ones aren’t, can feel like a coin toss. If you haven’t already, check out our air fryer reviews to help narrow your search and find the perfect air fryer for you.
Again, this may seem rather obvious, but, yes, you are going to need some tortillas. Although this may not be as simple as it seems. One important thing to note is that we have tried this recipe with a wide variety of tortillas. And we can confirm that the best tortillas for the job are corn tortillas. We have tried using flour tortillas but, to be honest, they don’t work out so well. They lack the crunch and texture of corn. The recipe will still work with flour tortillas, but they won’t have the same bite as the corn.
In order to get the crispy and crunchy texture that we all love from tortilla chips we are going to need some oil. However, we are only talking about a fraction of the oil when compared to traditional deep-frying. Thus, making our home-made treats much healthier than store bought chips.
Flavorings / Seasonings
This is where you can really have some fun. There are, of course, some classic flavors to be considered such as taco or ranch seasoning. But you should definitely experiment with different flavor profiles to develop your own signature seasoning. There really aren’t any rules here. Just a few of or personal favorites are:-
- Chili and Garlic
- Cayenne and Lime
- Tomato and Basil
- Chicken and Rosemary
But why stick to savory flavors? Go bold with some dessert themes such as:-
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Chocolate and Vanilla
- Or even, strawberry flavor served with whipped cream.
Your only limitation is your creative imagination!
Available On Amazon
To get you creative juices flowing check out the chart below for some inspirational ideas.
- Mix a small amount of oil, about 1 teaspoon per tortilla, with your chosen seasoning in a bowl thoroughly.
- Lay out your tortillas on your work surface and paint your tortillas with the mixture, on both sides, using a pastry brush. Only a thin layer is required here so be stingy!
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 Celsius).
- While waiting for your air fryer to heat up, cut your tortillas into chips. For 5-inch tortillas use quarters and for 8-inch tortillas use eighths.
- Place the chips into your basket in a single layer making sure the chips are not touching. You will probably have to do more than one batch, let’s be honest!
- Cook for 6 minutes, making sure to give the basket a shake halfway through as the high-powered fan can move them as they cook.
- When nice and golden brown, place on a wire rack to cool. Important note: Don’t be alarmed if they are not as crispy as you were expecting at this stage. They will not reach their full crunch until completely cool.
- Once cooled completely, store in an air-tight container at room temperature for no more than a week.
If you are using a dessert seasoning, why not try this recipe with avocado or coconut oil.
If you are following a keto or low-carb diet, why not try using these Mission Carb Balance Tortillas instead.
You can even try using Mission Yellow Corn Extra Thin Tortillas for an even crunchier, low-calorie snack.
And there you have it! Wonderfully crunchy tortilla chips to satisfy even the most aggressive craving. Simple to prepare, simple to cook, and simple to enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, check out our other excellent recipes such as:-
Don’t have an air fryer yet? Or are you thinking about replacing your current one? Check out our air fryer reviews here.