How To Make Air Fryer Pork Belly
This fantastic air fryer pork belly recipe is among one of our favorite meals to cook. With its crunchy crackling and juicy roasted meat, you really can’t beat a home-roasted pork joint. This is the quintessential family meal. Once word gets out about your newfound skills, you’ll amazed how many guests turn up for dinner!
- 2 lb pork belly roasting joint
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Available On Amazon
|Apple Cider Vinegar|
There is nothing quite like pork crackling, those crunchy, brittle shards of pork skin are absolutely delicious. However, they are notoriously difficult to get right. Especially when you’re trying to achieve juicy succulent meat at the same time! Sometimes, it comes out like a rock, and others it’s still too chewy to eat. The solution to this is in the prep work and good news, it is not nearly as hard as you think!
The first thing we have to understand is that in order to get beautifully crispy pork skin, we need to dry it out. Not the meat though, we still want to leave the juices in the meat but suck the moisture out of just the skin. Here is how we do it:-
- To start, if there are any hairs on the pork skin then scrape them off with a knife, then wash the skin and pat it dry.
- We are going to score the skin. Take a very sharp knife and gently run it across the skin. We need to be careful here as we only want to break the skin but if we go all the way through to the meat then we will dry that out as well which we definitely don’t want.
- Keep scoring every half an inch until the entire joint has been done.
- Next, we are going to mix ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 2 teaspoons of salt in a small bowl.
- Using a pastry brush, apply the vinegar mixture to the skin. Start at one end and work your way to the other. Keep repeating the process until you have used all the mixture.
- Place the glazed pork belly joint in the fridge, UNCOVERED, and leave to do its magic for 12-24 hours.
One Thing To Remember
A chef is only as good as his/her equipment. This is especially true when it comes to kitchen knives. Most of us do not a have an actually sharp kitchen knife in our homes. You would be amazed at how much easier cooking is with a high-quality knife. We have written an excellent article on the best affordable kitchen knives available. An extensive top 10 list that you should definitely check out here.
Time To Cook!
- Take your pork belly joint out of the fridge and place skin side down.
- In a small bowl mix your remaining ingredients together. This should be ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon sage, and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the pork and give it a good rub to ensure the flavors permeate the meat.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F (200°C).
- Once the air fryer has come to temperature, place your pork belly joint inside making sure it is skin side up.
- Roast for 25 minutes.
- At this point, lower the temperature to 320°F (160°C) and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Take your roasting joint out of the air fryer and leave it to rest for 6-8 minutes.
- Slice your meat with a sharp knife and enjoy!
This air fryer pork belly goes well with almost any vegetable dish. If you are looking for inspiration, then have a look at some of our favorite vegetable side dishes to accompany this recipe. These are:-
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
This air fryer pork belly will keep your friends and family scrambling to come round for dinner. Nothing beats this homely, hearty meal, except maybe grandmas! But then she has had 50 years practice so that’s hardly fair!
If you enjoyed this recipe then why not check out our other favorites such as:-