How To Make Air Fryer Popcorn
There’s something special about movie theater popcorn. The smell of it cooking and the unique roasted flavor. In fact, it might be the only reason most of us go any more. I know it was for me!
With the rise of streaming services, the choice of films to watch from the comfort of our own homes has never been bigger. So, the question becomes, how do we get our popcorn to have the ‘movie theater’ taste at home?
The answer is of course, the awesome air fryer! Air fryer popcorn is the easiest and best way I have found of replicating the roasted flavor associated with movie theater popcorn.
My air fryer is quickly becoming my go to appliance for a multitude of purposes. It is versatile and reliable and, honestly, I could not imagine my day-to-day life without it anymore.
- ½ cup of popcorn kernels
- 1 teaspoon of cooking oil or spray
- Seasonings to finish
Seasonings really can be anything you want here. Whether you are a sweet or savory person, experiment to find your own signature seasoning. In the table below are some ideas to get you started.
Available On Amazon
- Preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit (200 Celsius). This will usually take about 2 minutes.
- While waiting for your air fryer to come to temperature, put the corn kernels into a bowl and add your cooking oil or spray. Ensure that the kernels are evenly coated to ensure they pop.
- Place the kernels in the baking basket of your air fryer.
- Cook then popcorn for 4 minutes, give the basket a shake to make sure they do not stick together.
- Cook for a further 4 minutes or until the popping stops.
- Remove the popcorn and place into a bowl.
- Add your seasoning and give a good shake until the popcorn is coated in your choice of seasoning.
- Serve immediately for best results.
Reheating Already Cooked Popcorn
We’ve all been there. Our eyes were bigger than our stomachs and we have made more popcorn than we are capable of eating in one sitting. But this doesn’t mean you have to suffer through chewy soggy popcorn.
To reheat simply preheat your air fryer to 275 degrees Fahrenheit (135 Celsius). Once the air fryer reaches temperature, add your precooked popcorn for about 3 minutes or until warmed through.
Make sure you are using an air fryer basket with a lid. Otherwise, the popcorn will lodge itself in the heating element with the force of the ‘pop’. Where they then burn and make a real mess inside your air fryer. This is a nightmare to clean and is easy enough to avoid.
Many people will tell you that if you don’t have a basket with your fryer to build a bowl out of tin foil. This is a mistake as the foil blocks the air flow and as a result your kernels will not pop. Always use a basket with a lid. If your air fryer does not come with one, then we suggest buying a basket with a lid. They are pretty cheap and will save you a lot of hassle in the long run.
Kernels will pop more easily in a preheated air fryer as compared to a cold one.
If you are using old, dry kernels it is a good idea to soak them in warm water for 10 minutes. Pat them dry and then add your cooking oil. This gives them the best chance possible to pop.
With all the streaming subscriptions on your TV and an air fryer in your kitchen. You really can bring the movie theatre experience into you living room!
If you enjoyed this article, why not check out our other favorite air fryer snacks like:-