How To Make Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
For many of us, there are certain foods that are just simply nostalgic. Air fryer chicken nuggets are certainly one of these! The smell and the taste of our favorite treat sends us back to our childhood in a reminiscing, hazy daydream.
OK, that may be a little dramatic! But there are few things more family friendly than chicken nuggets. Kids and adults alike love these golden brown, crispy treats.
But the truth is the frozen chicken nuggets you get from the store aren’t really that great. Homemade chicken nuggets not only taste better but are more nutritious as well. And now, thanks to our favorite appliance, the air fryer, contain far less fat too.
Luckily for us, making your own from scratch is actually simpler than you might think. From start to finish will only take about 25 minutes. There are some store-bought frozen chicken nuggets that take that long in the oven anyway!
With this tasty Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets recipe being as quick and easy as possible, we have no doubt they will become a family favorite in no time!
- 2 Chicken Breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder / Puree
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 oz Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Finely Grated Parmesan
- Cooking Oil Spray
Ingredients Available On Amazon
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 Celsius).
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch chunks. Try to make the pieces as uniform as possible. The more evenly you cut, the more evenly they’ll cook!
- Combine the egg, smoked paprika, garlic, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Mix the Panko breadcrumbs and finely grated Parmesan together in a separate shallow dish.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg mix followed by the breadcrumbs. Flip it a few times to ensure it is fully coated.
- Spray the constructed chicken nuggets with just a small amount of oil to prevent them from sticking.
- Place the nuggets in your air fryer basket in a single layer. Please make sure the nuggets are not touching each other. The air needs to circulate around them to get the crispy coating we’re aiming for. You may need to do 2 batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air fry for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. If you have a meat thermometer handy, the internal temperature should be about 165 Fahrenheit (74 Celsius).
- For best results, serve immediately and enjoy!
Accessories Available On Amazon
Make sure not to overcrowd your machine. Air fryers work by rapidly circulating hot air around the food. If there isn’t room for the air to circulate properly your nuggets won’t cook evenly and you’ll lose the crispiness.
Another important thing to bear in mind is that you should never use metal utensils with an air fryer. This is not for any safety reason but for longevity. When using metal utensils, it is far easier to scratch or chip the non-stick coating of the air fryer. And once this starts to peel or lose its quality. The appliance then becomes a nightmare to clean. Best avoided where possible.
If you do not have an air fryer yet, or are thinking of upgrading your current machine, check out our Air Fryer Reviews to find your perfect kitchen companion.
These homemade air fryer chicken nuggets go great with our Air Fryer Potato Wedges and any sauce. For a double dipping dunking delight!
You could even toss them in with a salad for a lighter bite!
How do I store any leftovers?
Can I freeze air fryer chicken nuggets?
One downside though, is that you shouldn’t reheat these from frozen. So, the day before you going to eat them, transfer them from the freezer to the fridge. Leave them overnight to defrost properly.
How do I reheat my homemade chicken nuggets?
Pretty much the same way you cooked them! Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 Celsius). Then cook them for about 5 minutes straight from the fridge. Simple as can be!
Remember: DO NOT reheat from frozen always defrost first.
The allure of these homemade air fryer chicken nuggets is universal. Whether you are under 10, over 80, or anywhere in between! And now, with the help of our trusty air fryer, your friends and family will keep coming back to get their hands on them!