Air Fryer Butternut Squash
This air fryer butternut squash recipe is super easy to make as well as being totally delicious and healthy. Roasting in a traditional oven can mean using a lot of oil. And whilst the flavor of roasting vegetables in the oven is amazing, this oil can add many calories to your meal. This means it may not be as healthy as you assume eating vegetables would be.
But with the help of our trusty air fryer, we can keep the same great taste but without all the calories. Just 1 spoon of oil to roast an entire butternut squash!
Today, we are actually going to go through 2 different ways of making air fryer butternut squash. The first is to serve it in halves. This creates an awesome looking side dish to present to your friends and family. The other benefit is that raw butternut squash can be pretty tough to peel and cube, this recipe eliminates this task. The downside though is that the cooking time is quite long.
If on the other hand, you don’t mind battling the raw vegetable in order to get a quick cooking time, then the second recipe is more your style. A little more prep work but a much faster result!
- 1 medium butternut squash (roughly 1 ½ pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
It is important to note that if you want to add a bit of sweetness you can use any of the optional ingredients suggested but, only use one. You don’t want to overpower the natural flavor of the butternut squash.
Available On Amazon
Some of our more popular air fryer reviews are:-
- Glass Air Fryer Reviews
- Brentwood Air Fryer Reviews
- Emerald Air Fryer Reviews
- Toastmaster Air Fryer Reviews
- Cut the butternut squash in half length ways, from top to tail.
- With a spoon, scoop out the seeds and rind.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Also add your honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar if you want a slightly sweeter dish. Give the ingredients a good mix to ensure they are evenly dispersed in the oil.
- Brush the mixture onto the flesh of the butternut squash.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F (175°C).
- Place your butternut squash halves in the air fryer flesh side up.
- Roast for 40 – 50 minutes or until tender. The time is only an approximation as it depends on the size of your squash. Check it after 40 minutes but it might need a few more.
- You can serve this either mashed or sliced and can add a little butter if desired.
- Cut the butternut squash into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Also add your honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar if you want a slightly sweeter dish. Give the ingredients a good mix to ensure they are evenly dispersed in the oil.
- Add the butternut squash chunks to the mixing bowl and stir until the butternut squash is completely covered in the mixture.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F (195°C).
- Place your butternut squash pieces into the air fryer in a single layer ensuring that the chunks do not touch. The air needs to circulate between them in order to get an even, crispy cook.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Then give the basket a shake and cook for a further 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- These can also be mashed with butter or served as they are.
This air fryer butternut squash can be served with virtually any protein. But here are a few of our favorite suggestions!
You could even turn this roasted butternut squash into soup by adding some vegetable stock and a splash of cream.
If you enjoyed this article, you can always check out our other vegetable side dish recipes such as:-
There is nothing more satisfying than knowing your food is as healthy as can be. And it’s even better when it tastes like this amazing air fryer butternut squash recipe!